Thursday, May 3, 2012

My final blog post on PHO245, but my blog will continue on.

   As the semester quickly winds down, and we all rush to tie up loose ends and frantically turn in assignments that probably should have been completed weeks ago. I'm taking a few minutes to convert my blog from a class project in PHO245/Intro to Photojournalism into my general photography blog.  I have already changed the name, and used it as part of an assignment for the careers course I took this semester. Having three months of content on my blog already has to count for something!
    If anyone continues to follow this blog, rest assured the tone will not change all that much. Most of the personal projects I have lined up don't stray that far from the photojournalistic style that I enjoy, and that Lori and Dave reinforced so well over the past several months.
 PHO245 was probably the most interesting, enjoyable and definitely one of the most difficult "shooting" classes I have ever taken.
   Lori, our instructor asked us to make any suggestions on how the experience could be improved for the next semesters class.  Quite honestly the only ones I could think of were also brought up by my classmates, so all I can really do is echo them here.
   Shooting should start earlier, much earlier.  Personally I think a group field trip/shooting assignment should be worked into the first month. It would get everyone more acclimated to being around the general public with their camera, and editing the take in class would be a good reinforcement of what we look for with human interest and composition.  I think it would be a good jump start to getting past the initial apprehension that most of us felt about shooting in public.
    The camera ops-slide show should be back in, but due as a mid-term project. I was inundated with other class work near the end and would have had to hack it together at the last second, had Lori not removed it from the requirements. Personally I was thrilled about that, but I also think it's important and needs to be reinforced at every opportunity
    Like several other people have mentioned, I think the due dates for the class, and personal projects should be staggered by a week or two. For me, everything in all my classes coming due at the last second put a major rush, and a lot of pressure on me. It's done, and it was probably a good lesson in handling stress, but I feel that my work could have been better had I been able to stagger, (which I could have on my own, of course) the assignments.
    I  can't think of anything else, except to thank Lori, Dave, Sydney,Shalisha,Maria,Paul and Christian for one of the best class experiences that I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment