Sunday, May 6, 2012

Amtrak's history special visits Toledo

   Amtrak's historic display train spends the night at Toledo's
 Union station.  
   Whenever in the city for a few days I try and keep an eye out for interesting events going on. Amtrak's 40th anniversary display train was going to be in town for National Train day, which took place Saturday. National train day is an Amtrak sponsored event showcasing  rail travel in the U.S.
   Driving past the downtown Friday night and passing Union station I decided to take advantage of the chance to do some night photography of the train. The lights were on at the station and I had my tripod in the back seat (as always) so I grabbed the camera and headed down. I'll admit to a bit of trepidation after having been asked to leave the area on a couple of occasions in years past (In the aftermath of 9/11) Fortunately for me, a tripod toting photographer encumbered with gear must not seem like that much of a threat. I did however do the right thing and talk with some of the Amtrak personnel and let them know my intentions.    
   I spent close to two hours photographing the Amtrak train, with it's locomotives specially painted to reflect Amtrak's 40th anniversary (Last year Amtrak marked it's 40th year). My only company were a pair of rail enthusiasts and a few passengers waiting to board a later train.  As everyone should near railroad tracks, I crossed the tracks only in the marked areas and maintained a high state of awareness. Anytime you are near a railroad track you should expect a train.

Amtrak Locomotive #822 represents the railroads
 current high tech  equipment. 
  Toledo's Union station was built in 1948 as the last major Union station constructed in the U.S. Before it's construction the multiple railroads serving Toledo each maintained their own buildings.
    I went back to the station Saturday afternoon to help staff  our historical societies table at the event, but regrettably didn't get the chance to tour the train, maybe next year.

  Amtrak locomotive #406 represents
  the companies past.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome train photos! So glad to see you've created your own personal blog out of your existing blog. That was the whole intent. Love it!

    ReplyDelete